Image: Brazilian Wood Depot
*This is a sponsored post*
If you are like me, I’m itching for warmer weather and to make time outside with friends and family a main priority right now! However, before there is anytime to have everyone over to enjoy the weather, there’s a lot to spruce up and get done to make the backyard ready! Taking care of your deck is one of the first tasks to get off the long to do list and below are a few things you should be looking at.
If you live in an environment that has harsh winters, this causes a lot of damage to your deck from all the cold weather and the snow. Looking at the inspection, you can easily make this deck the place to be for your neighbors, friends and family to want to be at. Below are a few tips that can help you have it ready to go in a few short weeks!
1. Check It Out - The first thing you need to do is really look and inspect your deck area. Similar to your home, you want a peace of mind that everything looks ok before you begin decorating or trying to fix it yourself. If you are a first time homeowner, you might not be sure what exactly it is you are looking for. For starters, be sure to look for any broken boards. This could be a potentially dangerous problem when it comes to your deck. They are a hazard for anyone who uses the deck. If you have a few broken boards, it could easily replace it yourself if you have the right tools. Otherwise, contact a pro if you need to make the necessary repairs.
2. Look For Rotting - Many new homeowners fear deck rot. If you don’t catch it early enough it can destroy the structures of your deck. That’s why having a regular inspection can help you prevent a huge problem before it begins. A common cause of deck rot is moisture. The first sign of rot to look for is discoloration and then wood that cracks or is soft to the touch. If you see any of this, call someone right away who can help you before it gets worse!
3. Mold - When it comes to this mildew and mold situation, there are actually helpful options you can try and do yourself before you call in a professional. There are several cleaning solutions available for decks that eliminate mold and mildew. Any questions you might have, look at your manufacturer’s instructions to protect and properly clean your deck the right way.
4. Scrub It Off - It’s always a great idea to really give your deck a good scrub when the warmer hits. Start by first sweeping the deck and getting rid of any debris that may have built up during the winter months. This is a task that you should continue to do throughout the summer months too. As far a deep clean is concerned, an option is to try and power wash but this should be done with care and proper equipment. Have the pressure on low if you have a softer wood. You’ll also want a cleaning solution as well for a quick and easy way to make it look like you just got it installed.
5. Decorate - Now comes the fun part when you’ve had everything ready to go for your deck. You want your guests to be comfortable to be on the lookout for comfortable deck furniture including table and chairs for entertaining. You can also look for long couches to make a small space for you to enjoy your new area. Add some pops of color with pillows or flowers as well as some mood lighting. Think of a few string lights and give your backyard oasis a whimsical and soft touch.
Image: Brazilian Wood Depot
As far as finding a professional to help you with any of these needs, if you live in the Atlanta area be sure to call Brazilian Wood Depot. They offer a variety of decking service including quality wood from Brazil. One of the most popular ones is a tigerwood. This sustainable tigerwood decking is superior among other woods due to its unique color, hardness and durability. The dark reds and oranges plus black veining gives it that color of mimicking a tiger’s strip which can be a great conversation starter with first time guests. This is truly a wood I can’t wait to use on my deck. They also offer other woods that are just as long lasting, fire and insect resistance and offer a great and affordable price depending on your project needs.
Summer is just around the corner so make sure that you are getting everything in order ahead of time so you’re ready. A few things like just sweeping your deck, rearranging furniture or just adding a new color scheme can really make your deck the new place for everyone to gather in the warmer months!