I don’t know about you but this week has just been very disheartening. I have been praying for Ukraine and hoping for peace for the people. It has made me so sad and so angry at the same time! Things like this should not be happening.
What we’ve been up to:
This weekend was pretty lowkey for us. On Sunday, we pretty much just hung out around the house. I took the girls to the neighborhood park for a short time. On Saturday we went out and picked up some dinner from Bonefish Grill and ice cream from Coldstone. We have always liked Bonefish Grill and their food, but our experience on Saturday was very bad. We didn’t get many of the items that we requested like an appetizer order we placed and another glass of lemonade for Aubrey. Service was very slow and they did not have many of the items on the menu that I wanted.
At least Coldstone made up for the night. We love their ice cream but it is a bit far from us since we moved last year. We all enjoyed our dessert very much!
What we ate:
Sundays are usually the day that we try to make a nicer meal and enjoy it as a family. It was a little chillier and drearier so we wanted some kind of comfort food. My husband found this Tortellini Soup recipe from Love & Lemons. I was actually surprised my husband wanted to try this with the ingredients in it. He doesn’t usually eat kale, does not like onions, and I wasn’t sure if he would like anything with fennel in it.
I am really glad he found it. It was super delicious! It was very flavorful with the fresh thyme and fennel. It had a tad of spiciness from the red chili flakes. It asked for 1/4-1/2 tsp and I put in only 1/4 since my husband does not do too many spicy foods. It was still spicy! I love spicy foods though. The hardest parts was cutting up all the veggies but outside of that, the soup was super easy and quick to make.
If you do not like spicy food, you may want to leave out the chili flakes. It also could have been a bit more brothy. I would add more vegetable broth than was requested in the recipe.
What we watched:
We are still working on Yellowstone. We are maybe halfway through Season 4 and, as always, there is always something that leaves some anticipation and keeps you on your toes. I’ve said it before and will keep saying it. If you haven’t started this show, you need to do it. It has something for everyone. I even found out that my in-laws like it!
We also watched Encanto. Aubrey already watched it but my husband and I have not seen it yet so we watched it on Sunday. There were a couple parts that make Aubrey scared, mostly at a scene when the grandmother gets mad. She has a fear of people’s anger in movies. Overall, I really liked the movie. It had a great message and the music was fantastic! The colors were beautiful. I would really recommend the movie.
Some things to read:
- Who Is Ukranian President Volodymyr Zelensky? All About The Leader Taking On Russia From The Frontlines: With everything going on in Ukraine, there has been alot of talk about President Zelensky. I did not know much about him during this time and read up a bit. He seems to be a great guy, a family guy, a guy who was in it for the right reasons and truly cares about his country and the people. This article gave some fun information and facts about him. His heroism is truly being felt.
- Here’s How Americans Can Donate To Help People in Ukraine: If you are looking to help or contribute a bit, the Washington Post has provided some verified groups and charities that you can help support.
- The Long History of Russia’s Efforts to Subjugate Ukraine: In case you don’t keep up with world politics much (I know it is hard. There is alot going on even just here), there has actually been a long conflict between Ukraine and Russia. You can read more about the history in the CBS News article.
What has been inspiring me:
- This lemony arugula salad with couscous, cucumbers, and feta looks so delicious for the summer. It also looks like a healthy side option HERE
- The season for all things lemon are upon us. The lemon pound cake looks like a delicious and refreshing dessert HERE
- On the days when it is cold and dreary, a nice bowl of soup brings so much comfort. This broccoli and cheddar soup sounds perfect HERE
- @hungry: These potato pillows look like a delicious alternative to regular french fries HERE
- @jillcomesclean: These DIY toilet tablets look like a greener way to clean your toilet bowl and keep it fresh longer HERE
- @garden_and_grace: This door color is a dream HERE
What is on my wishlist:
These are the items I am crushing on this week.